A semi-regular attempt (in other words, as I have time) to explore the interaction between God and the adolescent world, especially the connection between theory and praxis (otherwise known as practical theology). Primary emphasis will be given to the role of the church (and especially the emerging church) in this process.

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Some Random Thoughts

Just returned from the National Pastors Convention in San Diego. Besides the absolutely gorgeous weather there (highs in the mid-60's compared to the single digit temperatures I left in Lexington), I had the opportunity to engage in some stimulating conversations with both old friends and new friends.

Special props to Joe Sherman, Beth Mast, and Lindsay Hoekstra from Zondervan for not only allowing me the opportunity to come and continue my research on the senior pastor/youth pastor relationship, but for being very hospitable hosts.

As I've reflected on this past week, some thoughts are ruminating through my mind.

1. For a conference designed to "nourish your soul, engage your mind and help you connect in meaningful conversations" I was encouraged by the number of folk just willing to engage each other in fruitful conversations. Most of my meals were spent in deep and passionate conversations with others who are just as concerned about the future of the church as I (and many of you). Even as a prof. training others to lead the church in the 21st century, I have to admit at times to being discouraged by the current state of the church. Yet these conversation renewed my spirit, and gave me hope that there are still pockets of people that are living out an amazingly fresh parable of God's Reign here on earth.

2. Had a great conversation with Mike King about his new book, Presence-Centered Youth Ministry. If you haven't read it yet, you need to do so. It is a bold and declarative of not only the present status of the church, but of what we need to be doing to develop a new ecclesiology for the church in this pluralistic, postmodern world in which we live.

Got quite a bit of writing done on my book which is due SOON! It was nice to have a little space and time to work on it.

1 Comments:

Blogger mindi said...

hey there,
i wish i'd known you were in town! i'm glad things went well for you and that we had some nice weather for you. i'm really looking forward to what comes out of your research.
-mindi (ys)

10:20 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home